Vision, mission, values, goals & objectives
The following strategic direction encompasses the strategy of this site qua website; that is, it is a website strategy rather than an organization strategy. The vision, mission, values, goals, and objectives herein define what is to be accomplished by the site in service of a greater organizational vision.
A site where everyone can find what they need quickly.
To deliver a broadly-accessible and inclusive web experience that is efficient and feels fast, using compelling copy, media, and web-standards-based technologies.
What we value
- Reusable: if you can keep things general so you don’t have to rewrite or even tweak it next time, do that!
- Empathetic: the team is the product, and the team needs to think always of the user
- Consistent: one pattern per solution, less one-off stuff and mixed metaphors
- Understandable: plain language, plenty of documentation, nothing too clever
- Standard: avoid overbuilt frameworks and abstractions in favor of ‘vanilla’ solutions
What we avoid
- Dishonesty: don’t plagiarize and always cite your sources
- Window-dressing: we don’t design for design’s sake, and we don’t remove focus outlines just for the aesthetic
- Bleeding: the hot newness will still exist after the other guy has gotten the bugs out
- Perfection: real artists ship
Goals and objectives
- Inclusive, accessible, usable design that respects our users’ wishes
- Zero errors reported on any tested page via Lighthouse or WAVE
- One-week or faster turnaround on repairing any reported accessibility issues
- Blazing front-end performance that improves conversions and SEO, works for slow connections, and reduces hardware costs
- Lighthouse performance tests always over 90%
- Conversion improvement over time via user tests rather than CRO/A-B tests
- Reduced mobile bounce rate
- Users don’t need to contact support because the information was right there on the site and easy to find and understand
- Fewer client support contacts year-over-year
- Demonstrable journey paths for all personas, and no cheating by deleting personas
- Prominent, clear, easy-to-use main navigation that reflects the core Information Architecture
- Snappy and effective search for information foraging
- Well-written, simple, skimmable content that doesn’t make Steve Krug think